Saturday, January 19, 2019

NGO's are a no-go

NGO
/ˌɛnˌdʒiːˈəʊ/
noun
  1. a non-profit organization that operates independently of any government, typically one whose purpose is to address a social or political issue.

    "thousands of people have been displaced, seeking refuge at police stations, churches, and temporary accommodation set up by NGOs"


Independent and free from government control they may be, but that doesn't mean they are doing all good. Of course no organization is perfect, but some of these advocacy, religious, or environmental NGO's seem to forget the role they can play to benefit society. 

The source of funding for a non-governmental organization essentially comes from donations, sponsorship, and grants....well that's what we are told. Great huh? Sounds so personal and no room for error. Maybe what some of us anti-gov vegans fear of non-NGO's is that politicians or conservatives will corrupt the financials right? But just like politicians, volunteers and ngo presidents are also human and any innocent human is surely capable of excessive greediness. 

Don't be fooled. Just because some organization claims themselves to be an NGO...it doesn't mean they have the greatest intentions. Even religious ones. Don't be decieved because they use the name of God. How real are they really being? I wanted to convert to a religion and walked into an NGO wondering if they can teach me more and they were already to convert me that same day...??? What's the rush? They didn't even know if I knew anything about the religion and they wanted me to convert immediately. They even told me that if i died crossing the street without converting what will happen then. I completely understand where they are coming from but they still have no right to rush into it like that. And from my knowledge many of these religious affiliations get money for every person they convert. Oh...so now I know what all the rush was about. What a joke. And here they are filming me and taking pictures that entire month I was there. I have a lot of other things I can say about this corrupted NGO but they certainly did help me convert in the end but I just was unsure where their intentions lie. 

This wasn't my first experience with an NGO. It also isn't the first time I was confused about society's positive outlook on NGOs purley because they label themself as a charitable organizations. Are award ceremonies for members and publicity of the NGO logo really more important than personally advocating for the cause or teaching the religion in depth? 

What's the point to label yourself an NGO...its just a trap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

La La Land

Every time I ask my "try-hard-to-be-american but is clearly fresh off the boat Asian" dad for 50 bucks I get the same boring, wast...